Children's Speech and Drama ClassesCastleknock | Dundrum | Dun Laoghaire | Ranelagh | Rathmines
Read on to learn about our Children’s speech and drama classes on offer.
Children’s Speech and Drama Classes
Step 1 Speech and Drama Class for preschoolers (Ages 4-6 Montessori-Senior infants) This 1 hour class provides a great introduction to the world of speech and drama. Poetry speaking, mime, stories, improvisation, exercises for clear speech, and lots of fun games. This is the youngest of our children’s speech and drama classes.
Step 2 Speech and Drama (Ages 6-8 senior infants-2nd class) This 90 minute class bridges the gap between step 1 and the junior class. With the options to take part in Feis Maitiu poetry competitions and an Initial speech and drama examination at the end of the year.
Junior Speech and Drama Class (Ages 9-12, 3rd-6th class) This 2.5 hour class is broken into the speech class — poetry speaking, exercises for clear speech, reading aloud, story-telling and public speaking — and drama class — group scenes, improvisation, mime, and character work. Participation in Trinity College London Exam Speech and Drama Exam Grades 2-5. Students work towards a larger production in a professional theatre, and various solo and group performance pieces for competitions and showcases.
Check out our speech and drama classes for teenagers here or read on to learn about our additional classes for children in film, musical theatre and creative writing.
Additional creative classes for children available:
Film-Making: This class involves an introduction into the world of film-making. The students will learn all about how the film-making process works including camera angles, shots, sound effects, mise-en-seine. Write, direct and produce your own short film for presentation at our Mixed Bag recital and competitions.
Creative Writing & Devising: Learn to write stories, poems, screenplays, plays and more. Storytelling and improvisation are taught as part of the development process. These can be entered into creative writing competitions, or form the basis of performance pieces for some of drama classes.
Term Dates For 2023/2024
- Term 1 builds base performance skills and leads up to a performance in a professional theatre.
- Begins: Monday September 25th. Ends: Saturday December 23rd. Duration: 12 weeks.
- Midterm Break: Saturday October 28th – Friday November 3rd inclusive.
- Performance Dates: December 16th/17th and Last week of class
- Term 2 works on solo and group performance pieces in preparation for the SDTOI Feis and an Irish Culture showcase.
- Begins: Monday January 8th. Ends: Sunday March 24th. Duration: 10 weeks.
- Midterm Break: Monday February 12th-Sunday February 18th.
- Performance Dates: Last week of class + Sunday March 24th.
- Term 3 works on solo and group performance pieces for the Feis Maitiu (or internal Feis) and Speech and Drama exams.
- Begins: Monday April 8th. Ends: Sunday June 2nd. Duration: 8 weeks.
- Midterm Break: no break.
- Performance Dates: Competitions May 13th-17th, exams and final showcase on last week of class.